Frequently Asked Questions

Who is a HBEF Sponsor?

Sponsorship is a special kind of giving that enables one to join our cause of transforming the lives of young people in Kenya and promoting peace through education. Being a HBEF sponsor provides the unique opportunity to nurture a needy child's education dreams into reality and experience the journey of lives being transformed over time.

Does sponsorship allow me to be matched with an actual child?

It is possible to directly sponsor a needy child. The Sponsor to Child (STC) project is a core activity of HBEF in which a sponsor is assigned a specific student. Under this project, the sponsor commits to pay the child's education for 4 consecutive years (Form 1 to Form 4). The student, on his/her part, commits to work hard and attain their full academic potential.

What do I need to do to become a sponsor?

HBEF normally requests persons who wish to become sponsor to pay the annual sponsorship fee before the beginning of a sponsorship year as well as fill out and submit a HBEF "sponsor commitment pledge form" (available for download on our website).

See detailed requirements for sponsorship here

Can I send letters to my sponsored child through the HBEF office?

Yes, it is ok to send letters through our office. We assist the children by centralizing the sponsor-to-child communication in our office, where they write letters during the school holidays, and we send them to sponsors, as many of them don't have the ability to post or email letters.

How much does it cost to sponsor a child's education?

The average cost of sending a child who meets HBEF criteria to the regular public boarding secondary school in Kenya is equivalent to about 1000 USD per year (or 85 USD per month) although the exact foreign currency may differ slightly depending on the exchange rate.

How long does secondary school education take?

Secondary school education in Kenya takes four years - from Form One to Form Four. The secondary school academic year begins in January and ends in December.

Will I get regular updates and be able to communicate with the child that I sponsor?

You will be able to communicate with your sponsor child through letters, and receive regular updates (including school report cards) on the performance of your child.

Are my contributions tax deductible?

Yes. Creative Visions Foundation on behalf of HBEF issues a tax receipt for all donations received from the US. Unfortunately, no tax deductible arrangements exist for other countries at the moment.

Can I arrange for monthly deductions from my credit card?

Yes it is possible to sign up for a recurring monthly donation. Sign up for a monthly donation.

Can I send gifts to my sponsored child?

It is ok to send gifts to your sponsored child. Send only flat, inexpensive items that can easily fit into a 6"x9" envelope. For example, photos, personalized cards, bookmarks etc. would make good gift ideas. It would be advisable to send gifts via registered mail. This way the post office alerts us when the gift arrives so we can personally pick it up. It is a more guaranteed way of ensuring that your gift arrives plus it takes away the inconvenience of postal delays.

Can I send money directly to my sponsored child?

No. We do not advocate for sponsors to send money directly to the children as it may breed contempt among the sponsored children for those that do not get the same support. However, extra money can be sent to the fund to take care of any other schooling needs your child may have.

Who can I contact if I have questions about my sponsorship?

For more information or queries related to the sponsorship program kindly write to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call us on +254 700 429552.

Get Involved







Quick Contacts

Hilde Back Education Fund
P.O. Box 14741-00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel:  +254 20 4442961, Cell: +254 700 429552

Copyright © 2015 Hilde Back Education Fund. All Rights Reserved. Powered By Heartbit